How much does it cost for sponsorship | How do we keep the cost so low? | What is offered at Early Intervention? | Children currently under sponsorship | Children awaiting sponsorship
Handi Care Intl., spearheaded this special project in 2012 to offer “Sensory Integration and Early Intervention” to children in early stages of life, who are affected by Cerebral Palsy / delayed development / other congenital challenges. A centre was constructed in Amar Seva Sangam campus in India, in early 2013 and enrolled about 50 children. However, the enrollment rapidly grew to 448 children by 2014, 10 other centres were formed in the surrounding villages and are fully staffed with special pediatric physio / occupational/ speech therapists and adaptive equipment. These children get specialized early intervention rehab activities.
Handi-Care Intl. procured CDN $110,000 from Grand Challenges Canada (GCC) in 2014 and this has supported the complete rehab activities for the past 2 years, along with donor sponsorship from HCI for the 448 children in the program. This project has been a great success in terms of remarkable improvement in children. The credit for the success goes to:
- Experienced, qualified and dedicated team of therapists, assistants, rehab workers and cooperative staff.
- Professional OTs and PTs and graduate students from 8 universities across Canada offering voluntary services to the centre year round. 49 students and professionals have served at ASSA in 2015-2016 alone. Our team has provided training in state of the art techniques, effective methodology and helped implement efficient protocol for treatment
GCC is very impressed with the outcome of their funding and invited us to apply for further funding. HCI has successfully procured additional funds from GCC and this time, GCC will only match the funds raised by HCI for this purpose for up to $600,000 over the next 3 years. This will enable us to offer uninterrupted services to the children enrolled and allow us to add more children who are under consideration. HCI raised $154,000 during 2016 and has set a goal to raise another $200,000 over the next 12 months. We request you to sponsor individual children from the “Waiting List” which will help us reach the goal, while doubling your donation.
Reports of these children will be emailed to the donor twice a year.
Children are admitted from very poor families, where the household income is very low. All services are offered free of cost to the children.
A. Endowment sponsorship of a E.I child: We request an endowment of $2000 (CDN) for each child. The interest earned from your endowment, will cover the cost of the following. The endowment amount will remain for ever and will be used for another child, when the first one is completed.
- Salaries to the Physio, Occupational, Speech therapists, Coordinators,
Supervisors, back office staff and office overhead
- Transportation charges (bus, driver, gasoline)
- Utility charges – water, electricity
- Equipment purchase and maintenance
- Parent’s emotional and financial counseling
- Financial assistance to some parents
- Office record maintenance
B. Yearly sponsorship of a E.I child: We request a yearly sponsorship with $400 (Cdn) per year per child. Half of it, $200 will be utilized to create an endowment for the child and the other half will cover all of the above costs. A complete endowment will be created in approximately 10 years. If the original child has completed rehab, a new child will be chosen for that endowment in your name.
Once the children gets to age 6, they will be moved to “Centre for special education“ which offers both special education and integrated school education and will continue to receive all forms of therapy as required. Your endowment will continue on for the same children and we will update you on their progress and requirements. As of now, you will receive 2 reports per year by email, which will also be available on our web site.
- A similar program in Canada with all the features listed below, costs upwards of $20,000 Cdn, per child per year. We offer the program in rural India with the highest standards and most modern techniques. We place PT/OT professional and student volunteers year around who work diligently with the patients and provide great support for the staff at Amar Seva Sangam. This enables magnificent savings in staff employment. Our volunteers also raise funds and purchase equipment that are highly expensive or unavailable in India and carry them to ASSA, resulting in huge savings.
- ASSA is a highly efficiently run organization with minimum overhead expenses and sincerely committed employees. They use state of the art technology, maximizing the time spent by therapists with the patients and minimizing time spent on travel, creating reports, office work and so on…
Therapy is offered at various village based rehab centres as well as at the homes of the children, whose conditions are severe and unable to travel to the rehab centres. Other children are bused to the centres with their mothers or fathers for 6 days a week, where they receive :
- Specialized pediatric Physio, speech and occupational therapies.
- Sensory integration (involving sensory stimulation for hearing, seeing, feeling and tasting)
in a special “Sensory integration room”.
- The children are trained in adaptive equipment (each one costing several hundred dollars) such as standers, walkers, posture training chairs, slope climbers, and a number of other equipment for successful training.
- They are given toilet training and self feeding training.
- The parents are trained along side to continue the practice at home. The children are given lunch, milk, and snacks during their visits. The parents are also provided with lunch since they come from far and are very poor. They are bused back at the end of the day. Most children need naps are are provided with beds and a very hygienic environment.
Each child is sponsored under our “Adopt An E.I Child” program. Our sponsorship is very nominal and an equivalent service and equipment cost in Canada would run into over $20,000 per year, where as our charges are $400 per year per child or an endowment of $2000 per child, an one time commitment. Please click here to donate / sponsor .