Please download "Orientation Manual". It is extensive and covers all aspects of your placement.
TRAVEL Requirements :
- Each student must have a valid passport that is good for at least 6 months from the anticipated date of landing in India.
- All students are advised to apply for "Tourist VISA" for 6 months at the Indian Embassy.
- Please visit: https://www.blsindia-canada.com/touristvisa.php
- You can give Mr. Ramasubramanian (friend) Tel # 98650 40679 as reference and Amar Seva Sangam address as contact. Address: 7-4-104B Tenkasi Road, Ayikudy - 627 852, Tamil Nadu, India.
- Students should check for any travel advisory
- Reccomended vaccines: Hep A, Hep B, Typhoid, Japanese Encephalitis
- Malaria Prophylaxis recommended
- Please visit travel clinic or your family doctor prior to travel
Getting there / Flights:
Costs vary depending on time of year (from $1200- $2000)
Handi-Care Intl. recommends that students book their flights through a travel agent, with a major Airlines such as Emirates or Ethihad Airlines. In our experience over the past 15 years, booking through our recommended travel agency or any other reliable one, is generally cheaper, safer and offers flexibilty. We also recommend that you take travel "Cancellation / Interruption" insurance or make payment from a credit card that offers travel protection.
Our recommended Travel Agent Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (Shoba Shekar) Website: www.canamtravels.com
- Fly into Trivandrum (also known as Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. (This will allow you to avoid any overnight layovers, especially in other Indian cities.)
- Fly into Madurai or Tuticorin ( also known as Thoothukudi). This will likely involve layovers in Indian cities and can be challenging.
- It is preferable that you fly into Madurai. Flying into Trivandrum is fine during daytime (7 am to 5 pm) in dark hours is not advisable. The road to and from the Trivandrum airport is open to trucks overnight (6pm to 6am) - trucks must stop at checkpoints and often get backed up along this route. It is possible to get caught behind the trucks for 4-5 hours if you arrive between 6 pm and 6 am
It is recommended to avoid overnight or long layovers in Indian cities.
Pick up via taxi will be arranged from those airports once we get your itinerary. All 3 cities are approximately 2.5-3 hours of drive to ASSA. Cost for taxi is about $70.00 Cdn. (from Trivandrum) and $90 (from Madurai). This can be split if you are travelling with others. You can pay for this via the main office at Amar Seva Sangam or to Ram. Do not pay or tip your taxi driver.
Please download "Orientation manual". It is extensive and covers all aspects of your placement.
Another additional reference material is "Travelling Abroad" - a general resource booklet that covers all health aspects during travelling outside of North America.