TRAVEL AND ACCOMODATION
TRAVEL Requirements :
- Volunteers must have a valid passport that is good for at least 6 months from the anticipated date of landing in India.
- All volunteers are advised to apply for "Tourist VISA" for the period required at the Indian Embassy.
- Please visit: https://www.blsindia-canada.com/touristvisa.php
- You can give Mr. Ramasubramanian (friend) Tel # 98650 40679 as reference and Amar Seva Sangam address as contact. Address: 7-4-104B Tenkasi Road, Ayikudy - 627 852, Tamil Nadu, India.
- Students should check for any travel advisory
- Reccomended vaccines: Hep A, Hep B, Typhoid, Japanese Encephalitis
- Malaria Prophylaxis recommended
- Please visit travel clinic or your family doctor prior to travel
Getting there / Flights:
Costs vary depending on time of year (from $1200- $2000)
Handi-Care Intl. recommends that students book their flights through a travel agent or online with reputed Airlines. We highly recommend that you take travel "medical insurance " and "Cancellation / Interruption" insurance or make payment from a credit card that offers travel protection.
- Fly into Trivandrum (also known as Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. (This will allow you to avoid any overnight layovers, especially in other Indian cities.)
- Fly into Madurai or Tuticorin ( also known as Thoothukudi). This will likely involve layovers in Indian cities and can be challenging.
Pick up will be arranged from those airports once we get your itinerary via taxi. All 3 cities are approximately 2.5-3 drive to ASSA. Cost for taxi is about $60.00 Cdn. (total). You can pay for this via the main office at Amar Seva Sangam.
All Volunteers will be given accommodations at Amar Seva Sangam's Volunteers Quarters or in a suitable room located on the main campus near the school and rehabilitation facilities. Accommodations are modest but are clean and include hot running water, showers, and private bathroom. Up to 3 volunteers of the same gender will be placed in each room, depending on the number of volunteers serving at any one time.
Handicare Intl. charges a fee of $160 per week, for which tax receipt will be issued. $160 is charged for each additional week. This covers room & board and all meals which are provided in the dining hall within in the ASSA campus, as well as the cost of any project-related travel.
Flight costs to India and any outside trips within India are the responsibility of the volunteer. Sight-seeing and shopping are up to the individual. There are many local sightseeing opportunities around ASSA and transport can be arranged through ASSA's reception via taxi or auto rickshaw.
Handi Care Intl.'s charges are very modest compared to other organizations because no profit or overhead expenses are taken from volunteer fees and all money received goes directly towards the cost of accommodation, meals and supporting ASSA's programs.
Fundraising can be organized by students and can be focused around their local universities and communities. Parents / relatives and friends are the best source to begin with. Their contributions can be tax deductible.
Read more by downloading "Volunteer Handbook"